TODAY is the day, Massachusetts!!!
The midwifery bill URGENTLY needs you!
Please call your own legislator NOW, letting him/her know that having good birth options is important to you. Please ask them to call Chairman Dempsey and ask him to release our bill—HB 4253—An Act Relative to Certified Professional Midwives—today.
We only have HOURS left to get the bill out of committee.
Every call makes a big difference.
If you have more time, please call the following Ways and Means committee members (list with numbers follows at the end of this message), asking them to release the bill ASAP so it can go to the House floor for a vote. We can still get the bill out but need your help now, more than ever.
With your help, we can do this. Thank you!
Find your own rep’s contact info here:
Ways and Means Committee members:
Please call and ask them to release the bill for a vote!
- Stephen Kulik 617-722-2380
- Martha M. Walz 617-722-2380
- Angelo M. Scaccia 617-722-2060
- Gloria L. Fox 617-722-2060
- Thomas M. Petrolati 617-722-2255
- Robert M. Koczera 617-722-2582
- Christine E. Canavan 617-722-2575
- Timothy J. Toomey Jr 617-722-2380
- Benjamin Swan 617-722-2680
- Colleen M. Garry 617-722-2380
- Geraldine Creedon 617-722-2305
- Kevin J. Murphy 617-722-2877
- David B. Sullivan 617-722-2070
- Ruth B. Balser 617-722-2396
- John P. Fresolo 617-722-2017
- Walter F. Timilty 617-722-2230
- Thomas M. Stanley 617-722-2230
- William Smitty Pignatelli 617-722-2582
- Joyce A. Spiliotis 617-722-2430
- Carl M. Sciortino, Jr 617-722-2013
- Angelo J. Puppolo, Jr. 617-722-2090
- Michael D. Brady 617-722-2230
- James J. Dwyer 617-722-2220
- Ann-Margaret Ferrante 617-722-2210
- Timothy R. Madden 617-722-2810
- Viriato Manuel deMacedo 617-722-2100
- Daniel K. Webster 617-722-2487
- Geoffrey G. Diehl 617-722-2810
- Angelo D'Emilia 617-722-2810
- Shaunna O'Connell 617-722-2305
- Donald H. Wong 617-722-2488
617-254-6175 617-901-2777 - c
Contact for information and questions:
- Miriam Khalsa (Mass Midwives Alliance)
508-655-7885 (akmid[email protected])
- Audra Karp (Mass Midwives Alliance)
617-522-8383 ([email protected])
- Ann Sweeney (Mass Friends of Midwives)
617-254-6175/617-901-2777 ([email protected])
- Krina Patel (The Suffolk Group)
617-303-4570 ([email protected])
Stephen Kulik 617-722-2380
Martha M. Walz 617-722-2380
If you care about mothers and babies, the Commonwealth needs your help TODAY to PASS HB 4253—An Act Relative to Certified Professional Midwives. We have just a few days left to pass this important legislation that will regulate Certified Professional Midwives. Currently, there is no state oversight, which means:
- ANYONE—even an 18 year old car mechanic—can hang out a shingle and practice as a midwife and
- Hairdressers must be licensed to practice in Massachusetts but midwives do not. Should a “cut and color” be regulated and have professional practice requirements while MA midwives currently have none?
How to help?
CALL your own STATE REPRESENTATIVEYou can find contact information for your representative at the following link: http://wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php
- GIVE them an update on the bill, HB 4253—An Act Relative to Certified Professional Midwives—and let them know the bill is now with the House Ways and Means committee
- ASK them to contact Chairman Dempsey's office (617-722-2990) (representing Haverill and Chair, House Ways & Means Committee) to REQUEST that HB 4253 BE RELEASED TO THE HOUSE FLOOR FOR A VOTE ASAP
- ASK them to then support the bill when it reaches the House Floor
- URGE them to tell their colleagues to support the bill on the House Floor
Want to do more?
PLEASE reach out to Massachusetts HOUSE LEADERSHIP(see listing at the end of this message), letting them know:
- This bill is important to you
- That this bill is being supported by House leaders
Also, we will be at the State House on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons this week (7/25 and 7/26). Please join us! Drop a quick email to Ann Sweeney at [email protected], and we’ll let you know where to rendezvous with us.
Text of the bill can be found on the State House website: http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H04253 Please help us in spreading the word and passing this legislation into law! Keep the calls coming!!! We need EVERYONE to call to get this done! Make a difference! Make it count.
Here is how you do more:
CALL more Massachusetts HOUSE LEADERSHIP
- Rep. Haddad—very supportive—617-722-2600
- Speaker DeLeo—he is aware of the bill—seems to understand need for it—617-722-2500
- Rep. Reinstein—very supportive and a co sponsor—617-722-2180
- Rep. Moran (Boston and Brookline)—supportive and a co-sponsor— 617-722-2006
- Rep. Story (Amherst)—very supportive—617-722-2012
- Rep. Donato—seems supportive—617-722-2040
- Rep. Mariano—has always supported licensure bills—617-722-2300
- Rep. Jones—aide seems supportive—617-722-2100
- Rep. Rushing—617-722-2783
- Rep. Bradley—617-722-2520