News Releases and Media Alerts are released by the campaign, as well as the advocacy organizations and coalitions in the PushStates.
Let news of the pushing come to you.
Sign up for PushAlerts today.
Please contact The Big Push for Midwives:
National Campaign Manager
Stay informed on Big Push media outreach labors, as well as the efforts of the whole PushNation.
When there is coverage, don’t miss a single one of the PushHeadlines.
News Releases and Media Alerts
MAY 5 – Where’s My Midwife? That is the Question on International Day of the Midwife.
New Podcast Launches as Companion Crowdmap Links Midwives to Pregnant People
- APRIL 8 – 'Where's My Midwife?' Map Links Midwives to Pregnant People
- JULY 10 – Licensing Protects Midwives and Patients; “Private Membership Associations” Do Not
JAN 30 – Largest US Study to Date Finds Home Birth to Be a Safe Option for Most Women
- JULY 8 – California Families for Access to Midwives "Free Our Midwives!" Rally was a great success!
- JULY 3 – Congratulations to the Friends of Missouri Midwives (FOMM) and the Missouri Midwives Association (MMA) on the fifth anniversary of the Missouri Supreme Court decision!
- JUNE 26 – Fire up the PushMediaMachine, we are back in business!
- JAN 26 – CDC Finds Continued Increase in Home Births
- AUG 15 – Study: Two-Thirds of OB-GYN Clinical Guidelines Have No Basis in Science
- MAR 30 – Home Birth Midwives Bill Gains Bipartisan Support in North Carolina
- FEB 2 – "Blizzard Babies”\" Website Connects Midwives with Stranded Mothers-to-Be
- JAN 21 – Physician Group Uses Junk Science to Justify Its Opposition to Home Birth and the Midwives Trained to Provide It: Discredited "Wax Paper" Cited In Call to Deny Women Access to Certified Professional Midwives.
- SEPT 27 – Walk for Moms and Midwives Event – October 9th in Raleigh Area in North Carolina
- JULY 7 – OB/GYN Journal Fast Tracks Anti-Home Birth Study in Advance of Pro-Midwife Legislation: International expert calls study deeply flawed and politically motivated.
- MAR 4 – CDC Report: Demand for Out-of-Hospital Midwife Births Sharply Increases: Research debunks physician group claims that actress Ricki Lake is responsible for rise in out-of-hospital births.
- OCT 9 – PBS Global Health Watch Report: High Rate of Home Birth in the Netherlands Results in Reduced Costs, Superior Outcomes: Report follows landmark Dutch study on the safety of home birth.
- SEPT 11 – Physicians Take Anti-Midwife Smear Campaign to the Airwaves: Home birth mothers, celebrities, insulted on national TV.
- AUG 31 – Viral Internet Campaign Exposes Bogus Research on the "Problem" of Increased Demand for Midwife Care: Thousands of activists nationwide force physician group to scrub its website.
- AUG 25 – Physician Group Pulls the Plug on Women’s Autonomy: Issues policy statement about what women in labor will be "allowed" to eat and drink.
- AUG 17 – Advocates Spotlight Absence of "Beginning-of-Life" Provisions in House Bill: Maternity care crisis ignored as controversy about end-of-life issues continues.
- AUG 12 – South Dakota Mother to Walk Across the State to Raise Awareness About Lack of Access to Certified Professional Midwives: Hundreds to join her in show of support for change in state law.
- JUNE 15 – Physician Lobby Groups Propose "Model" Maternity Care Legislation That Would Deny U.S. Taxpayers Billions in Savings: Plan to block access to Certified Professional Midwives and out-of-hospital birth puts mothers and babies at risk.
- MAY 18 – Congress Invited to Attend Issue Briefing on Maternity Care and the Role of Out-of-Hospital Birth in Reducing Costs, Improving Outcomes: Expert panel to address the need to include services of Certified Professional Midwives in health care reform.
- APRIL 28 – Flu Raises Concern about Shortage of Midwives for Out-of-Hospital Birth: Advocates call on state and federal policy makers to prioritize maternal and infant safety.
- APRIL 1 – Idaho Pushes Midwife Movement to the Tipping Point: Physician and Midwife groups forge unprecedented alliance as Idaho becomes the 26th state to pass legislation legalizing Certified Professional Midwives.
- FEB 17 – Physician Groups Out-of-Step as the Number of Health Care Organizations In Support of Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) and Out-of-Hospital Birth Rapidly Increases: Nurses, perinatal health care specialists echo Consumer Reports Magazine in calling for integrating midwives into U.S. maternity-care system.
- FEB 9 – Home-baked Cookies in Gratitude: Missouri Families Thank State Lawmakers for Legalizing Certified Professional Midwives
- FEB 9 – Home Birth Safety Act Draws Unprecedented Support in South Dakota
- JAN 12 – NC House Committee Recommends Licensing Midwives
- JAN 8 – Idaho Midwives Bill Draws National Attention
- DEC 20 – Sen. Daschle welcomed to Heartland Maternity Care Community Meeting: New HHS Secretary invited to hear the stories of doctors and midwives, mothers and families, and others on the affordability and quality of maternity care in Missouri and Kansas
- SEPT 1 – Number Two With a Bullet: Critical Women’s Health Issues Neglected as Physician Group Yet Again Sets its Sights on Midwives
- JULY 10 – Midwives Group Applauds American Medical Association’s Statement on Racism: Calls on AMA to Extend Its Apologies to African American Midwives
- JUNE 20 – Amidst Uproar, Physician Group Votes Not to Target Ricki Lake: Questions Remain About How Home Birth Bans Will Be Enforced
- JUNE 16 – Father Knows Best Meets Big Brother Is Watching: Physician Group Seeks to Outlaw Home Birth—Is Jail for Moms Next?
- FEB 7 – ACOG: Out of Touch with Needs of Childbearing Families: Trade Union claims out-of-hospital birth is "trendy;" tries to play the "bad mother" card
- JAN 25 – New Attention to the Big Push for Midwives Campaign: Chicago Tribune article prompts hail of comments, bloggers get busy, and actress Carrie-Anne Moss of The Matrix gives Statement of Support to The Big Push for Midwives.