One. More. Month.
This year is almost over.
Thanks to your support, we pushed HARD in 2020.
Whew. What a year. We've never been the type to hide under the covers, so when the moment called for decisive action, we got busy creating a new tool to serve the emerging need for access to Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) and more out-of-hospital birth options.
In April we launched the new “Where’s My Midwife?” crowdmap to help connect CPMs, midwives who are trained in out-of-hospital birth, with people whose babies may need to be born in out-of-hospital settings during the COVID-19 pandemic.
And you helped too. Not only have more than 340 midwives who wish to be of service to pregnant people submitted their reports and added their contact information to the map (thank you 🙌 !), but through word of mouth, you've also supported moms + families across the US to connect them to this network of midwives.
We know you have many options when it comes to whom and where to donate on #GivingTuesday. We ask that you please make the Big Push a priority when choosing to give in these last few hours today.
The Big Push for Midwives Campaign is committed to developing, advancing, and supporting the ecosystem of courageous leaders who are the heartbeat of our state coalitions. These midwives and consumers are the most important change agents in the US birth community.
Big Push accomplishments this year reflect our commitment to provide planning and strategy, fellowship and support, and above all else, service to the grassroots activists of the PushNation, who are:
- working or planning licensure for CPMs in their states
- under the thumb of bad governing boards
- facing hostile rules and regulations
- staring at a sunset review
- concerned about the future of LAC (labor after cesarean)/VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean/and HBAC (home birth after cesarean)
- facing increased attacks on breech
- resisting forced collaborative agreements
- working to remove state Medicaid restrictions for CPM coverage
- integrating CPMs fully into their community’s Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Continuum of Care
- facing legislative roadblocks, back-door dealings, and insider politics at their state capitols that prevent them from advancing
- ... and so much more
That's why a generous donation means so much, because our work is too important and your investment is too valuable. As always, a donation to the Big Push for Midwives Campaign is tax deductible. So make your donation to the Big Push today. Thank you in advance!
The Big Push for Midwives is a national campaign to secure regulation and license laws for Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) in all 50 U.S. States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.
The Big Push supports the courageous leaders of state coalitions of midwives and consumers, who are building effective public education and legislative campaigns to pass CPM legislation, implementing new CPM licensure laws, and fully integrating CPMs into their community's Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) Continuum of Care. In states where community midwives are regulated through licensure and fully integrated into the RMNCH Continuum of Care, those states provide better access to care and better outcomes.
The Big Push holds a new vision of U.S. maternity care: better outcomes for moms and babies, and greatly expanded access to community midwives and the full range of birth options. We are working to bring community midwives out from underground economies in some states and fully integrate them into the RMNCH Continuum of Care in others.
It takes all of us to make a difference in this birth work, and we invite you to please consider donating to our #GivingTuesday campaign today. Thank you for donating!
Give a little. Push a lot.
The Big Push for Midwives
PUSHING FOR CPM REGULATION + INTEGRATION
- Providing and maintaining a forum for our state organizations to come together, share ideas, strategize, and develop education and advocacy material for use by all PushStates.
- Drafting timely news releases and distributing to media sources nationwide for positive stories, and providing responses to combat negative stories.
- Being the biggest cheerleader for tired, weary, and discouraged state leaders!
- Checking, upon request, our partner organizations' proposed bill language for any errors or mistakes and providing strategy for specific, on-the-ground situations.
- Providing critiques, upon request, of our organizations' methods, websites, newsletters, and action alerts, for increased effectiveness.
- Regularly updating the Big Push website, blog, and Facebook page, and keeping the public informed about what is happening in the various states and on the national level.
- Providing safe space so the PushNation can get together, share, strategize, and be refreshed in the work.
The Big Push for Midwives Campaign is fiscally sponsored by Sustainable Markets Foundation, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The Big Push works to increase access to Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs), the only U.S. healthcare providers with required training in out-of-hospital maternity care. If you haven’t already, please sign-up for PushAlerts here.